My years of rabbinical, chaplain and spiritual direction experience have prepared me for this moment to accompany you. Check out the following possibilities:
I have developed a unique approach to studying Torah that I call Torahscope. We begin with each participant’s birth portion. This means, what Torah was being read in synagogue the week you were born. This approach has been highly successful helping the most skeptical grasp the power of Torah study. I am also available for other forms of Torah study. I believe that we need to ask the question, “how can this text guide me, our communities, or the world?”
Personalized or congregational healing circles with the opportunity for prayer, chant, sharing, and sacred witnessing. I often use self reflective writing to help people uncover their creative unconscious.
Let me accompany you and your family at the end of life or as you tend the broken heart.
Lifecycle Events and Rituals
Wedding, funeral, shiva, baby welcoming, retirement, recovery, healing. I welcome working with people of all walks of life, inter – spiritual couples/families and people with no religious or spiritual affiliation. Family is defined openly. The possibilities are endless.
Interim Rabbi/Guest Rabbi
While your congregation is searching for a permanent rabbi, is on sabbatical, or on vacation. You might just need someone to join your team to lead High Holy Days, lead a service, or teach Torah study on occassion. Over the past 20 years I have served in these various capacities for Temple Beth Ora in Edmonton, Kol HaEmek in Ukiah, Beth Chaim Congregation in Danville, Coastside Jewish Community in Half Moon Bay, Beth Shalom in Walnut Creek, Kehilla Community Synagogue in Piedmont, and Chochmat HaLev in Berkeley.
Jewish Buddhist Gatherings
With my beloved friend and colleague Buddhist teacher and musician Eve Decker, we draw upon the traditions of both Judaism and Buddhism. We have been leading the second day Rosh Hashanah services at Kehilla Community Synagogue for nine years and have offered other workshops and healing circles for many years.
Individual and Group Spiritual Direction
Individual and group spiritual direction is a delicious process to help you deepen your relationship with your spirituality.
I am available to speak or teach about many topics, including:
- Reducing the stigma of suicide in the Jewish tradition.
- What the Jewish tradition says about healing and supporting the sick.
- How to design a meaningful spiritual support group.
- Jewish liturgy/prayer and Torah.
For Chaplains and Chaplain Students
- Serving Jewish patients.
- Providing support to chaplain teams through creative expression and devotional listening.
- The importance of religious diversity on chaplain teams.
- Assessing patients through writing with them.
- Using writing as a way to process stressful work and stay a chaplain.
- Jewish Liturgy/Prayer as Medicine Using Writing
- Spiritual Direction Group focusing on Healing and Resilience or Tending to day-to-day heartache.
See my upcoming offerings here.